Associate Engineer or Associate Planner
Want to work on progressive transportation projects and experience true work-life balance?
W-Trans is seeking transportation engineers and planners that are ready to work on a diverse range of projects for our expanding client base. Work-life balance isn’t just a cliché at W-Trans… it’s a fundamental part of who we are.
What does balancing your professional and personal lifestyle mean? The answer is different for everyone. For many W-Trans employees, it means actually working a 40-hour work week on average. It means having the flexibility to work remotely at least three days a week if you choose, and the ability to work flexible hours that fit your lifestyle and family needs. It means producing great work that you find professionally fulfilling, having a passion for finding sustainable transportation solutions to complex problems, and perhaps looking at transportation differently than our profession typically did in the past.
Who is W-Trans?
W-Trans provides traffic engineering and transportation planning services throughout California with an emphasis on the San Francisco Bay Area and Northern California. We currently have offices in Santa Rosa (Sonoma County) and downtown Oakland. We specialize in projects that create more livable streets and sustainable transportation systems while also balancing the need to maintain traffic flow. W-Trans continues to serve existing and new clients in the Bay Area, increasingly working on projects in the Central Valley and Central Coast. We particularly welcome the opportunity to chat with prospective candidates who are currently located in Northern California or who would like to relocate to the region.
W-Trans is interested in hearing from experienced transportation engineers and planners from diverse professional and personal backgrounds.
Required Qualifications (All positions)
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Engineering or Planning (or related field), with an emphasis in transportation
- Minimum of two years of professional experience related to transportation
- Writing skills in both technical and non-technical styles
Additional Required Qualifications for Engineers
- PE license in the State of California (Civil and/or Traffic), or EIT with intent to pursue a PE license
- Experience in at least one of the following two areas:
- Traffic operations, including proficiency in analysis software such as Synchro, HCS, and/or Vistro, as well as experience completing transportation impact studies
- Design of new or modification of existing traffic signals; design of devices such as RRFBs, HAWKs, and/or roundabouts; preparation of signing, striping, and/or traffic control plans; proficiency with AutoCAD and familiarity with writing specifications and estimates
Additional Required Qualifications for Planners
- Experience with large transportation impact studies or circulation sections of environmental impact reports/studies
- Experience with street corridor studies, bicycle and pedestrian plans, and/or components of General Plans and Specific Plans
- Familiarity with CEQA
- Strong technical and/or grant writing skills
Desired Qualifications (All Positions)
The following skills are not expected or required but would be valued!
- Project management experience
- Experience with both training and overseeing staff
- Excellent communication skills including client interaction, public meeting presentations, and/or workshop facilitation
- Experience in Northern California
- Experience with marketing and preparing proposals
- Familiarity with transportation funding and preparation of grant applications
- Working knowledge of GIS, AutoCAD, Vissum, and other operational analysis programs
Compensation and Benefits
W-Trans prides itself on maintaining a highly-collaborative, employee-focused workplace and offers the following to its staff:
- Salary range of $90,000 to $115,000 per year depending on years of experience and licensure
- Full Benefits package with 100 percent coverage of select medical and dental plans plus coverage for dependents
- 401k plan with 4 percent employer match
- A path to firm ownership, including profit-sharing for owners
- Company commitment to sharing financial success through generous employee bonuses
- Two weeks vacation accrual; increases with tenure starting after three years
- Two weeks of sick leave
- Nine holidays, including two “floating” holidays to accommodate personal celebrations
- Monthly transportation subsidy of up to $62 for transit passes, parking at transit stations, public parking near Santa Rosa office, or similar qualified transportation costs
- Hybrid work schedule with three days per week of remote work if desired (negotiable based on position and residence location)
- Flexible work hours, including option to work a traditional 40-hour work week or a 9/80 schedule, and ability to shift work hours over the course of the month rather than per pay period
- Average 75 percent billing goal to encourage work life balance with a true 40-hour work week and supplementary training
An employee-owned company with over 75 percent of staff currently having ownership, W-Trans cultivates an employee-first work environment and culture. We are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive organization; therefore, all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, family status, or veteran status, and are encouraged to apply!
To apply, please e-mail a letter of interest, resume, writing sample, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org.